Dear diary,

There is actually a ton of good in this world if you know where to look.

What inspired me to talk about this is... mostly because I'm procrastinating from my real duties, preparing for my Final Year Project 2, but another reason is because I've stumbled across this post on Facebook where a girl took a diseased dog found often wandering around my University campus to the vet. I've seen that dog before, he has a swollen penis and it looks really painful, it is obvious that the dog was once well groomed before as the fur of his head still looks sort of kept comparative to other stray dogs, but the rest of his body was shit.

I remember how I so badly wanted to help the dog, take it to the vet, but I don't really have that much time, since caring for a diseased dog can be a full time task, not to mention the overbearing cost for it. Plus my zero anything caring experience (heck, I can't even take good care of myself). I did think about it extensively though, I thought about all the details and whatnot, like how I would transfer it to the vet, start a little campaign asking for donation to help with the cost. I felt bad that I was so helpless.

Anyways, back to the girl's post, she took the dog to the vet, apparently the dog have a sexually transmitted disease (TVT), a type of cancer, and she was asking people to donate to her account. I expected lots of likes, but never expect so many people actually contributed or wanted to contribute, the screenshots of proof of their contribution shocked me, 2 of them donated RM40, if the donations keep going at that rate, not only will it easily cover the costs, the caretakers can actually earn a bit of income as well. Which is like, superb, the reactions of the people, it was a real campaign to help this dog, powered by random people who have seen the dog and stumbled across the post.

Perhaps it's a lucky dog, getting so much attention. Apparently many people have took notice of the dog and was also seriously considering to help him.

I've seen another person who were asking for donation before to help the same dog, but the campaign was not as powerful as he did not take the dog to the vet yet, while this girl have already taken the dog for treatment, identified the disease, predicted the hefty cost it would incur, showed the receipt as proof, and only did she asked for donation, the reactions was amazing, powerful and inspiring.

However, there was another thought of mine. The poster was actually the previous owner of the dog, however, due to apartment rules, she was forced to let it go, therefore, comes the moral value:"Do not simply adopt dogs without any long term plan". There is simply too many, way too many abandoned dogs due to people's inability to think about stuff in the long run. A dog, not unlike a baby human being, is a life form capable of emotions and intellect, caring for it takes years of commitment, you do not simply adopt a dog just because you "feel like it" at that moment after you watch a really cuddly video or movie about dog and people. Getting yourself a dog is serious, it is work, it is really a shit ton of work and a shit ton of extra expenses, extra expenses and work that spans for decades. If you can't fend for yourself yet, please, please do not get a dog, or a cat, or whatever. It's just sad, leaving a dog out like that, not knowing how to fend for themselves at their developing stages of their lives, only to be exposed and diseased in the end.

Comments

Popular Posts