Dear diary,

Today is the first time I experienced a buried funeral.

My grandmother passed away just 3 days ago, it all happened so fast, just 2 weeks ago she was perfectly fine, then she fell down, fractured her hip bone, went to the hospital,got an operation, people speculated that the anesthesia messed up her also weak old body even further, she had difficulty breathing, and then she just went away to another world.

What's interesting is the burial. No machines included, the way they carried the casket into the burial ground, the local polynesian I presume were a bunch of hardy people,well balanced too, 8 of them carried the very heavy looking casket with the help of a bamboo stick, one of them was even elderly. They went down the not very even steps to the burial ground on a slope of the hill, it was drizzlin. It was a very traditional way of lowering a casket, lots of coordination needed. There were eight people walking down the muddy steps, carrying a really heavy casket with a bamboo pole as it drizzled, the way they lowered down involved using friction and gravity,they twisted the ropes so it will loosen some rope up and the casket will be slowly lowered.

Apparently we were stepping on someone's grave these whole time.

I said sorry, I hope they don't mind.

Hi, this is an edit. I feel that I've not really expressed well the whole experience of my grandmother passing away. She was a great person, what's a bit of a pity was that she was still sane.
Her death was a somewhat peaceful one, during her last few days, she was surrounded by people she love, almost all her kids were there, so are her grandkids, she even sang her favourite song. The same favourite song she requested to sing last year when my aunt set up a karaoke thingy in my uncle's house.

During her last day, she was hyperventilating through an oxygen mask(if I'm not mistaken), eyes closed, unconscious, which she have been for a couple of days, my mom held her hand and she gripped it tight. Didn't let go.

My dad speculated that perhaps somehow, she's aware that her time is limited, and she's feeling scared.

Her burial was in the Chinese cemetery. Unlike expectation, it's actually a really peaceful place. It was drizzling a bit. Then it poured.

Comments

Popular Posts