I want the great barrier reef to come back to life

Dear diary,

I believe that people can be happy, people are meant to be happy. But when you go online, you can see that there is an overwhelming amount of unhappy people throughout the world.

In my own view, I think that our current lifestyles, are greatly hindering us to become happy. Concrete walls, jobs in cubicles, the threat of losing your job to an automated system, employees scrambling to perform their best, those conditions don't sound happy at all.

Not to mention the great amount of opportunities and the pressure to become more and more efficient, to do more things, and the never ending stream of information that technology has enabled.

We are taught to feel bad when we relax, or when we spend time to ourselves. There is just so many things to do, so many shows to watch, so many games to play, so many articles to read, knowledge to learn, codes to write, miscellaneous tasks to complete, I need to do more, I keep telling myself.

But what for?

I saw a short documentary, about people planting baby corals into the ocean. I want to be part of that. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in front of a computer, being super efficient and making buttloads of money. I got it all wrong. I'm a human being, not a machine.

Buying expensive meals are nice, taking expensive vacations are nice, it makes me happy, but, I realize, it only makes me happy for that brief period of time, then, the rest of the time when I'm working, I'm not exactly happy.

If I am doing something meaningful and happy every day, maybe I don't need expensive meals and vacations anymore, maybe, if I am planting baby corals on a beach, I can be happy, I get to talk to people, get some sea breeze, exercise, and sunlight. It all sounds so nice.

If everybody did that, and focus on breeding and planting corals back into the ocean, or even just planting trees, I think, the world climate problem would be solve in less than a decade. If only people's goals were different. We are so stressed to be efficient and get things done, to be on top, we value convenience so much, that we use so much plastic.

What if our lives are chill and happy? We will have so much time to think of alternatives to not use plastic, what if our only job is to plant baby corals? As long as they provide food and accommodation, I will totally volunteer to plant them baby corals.

I don't know. I really want a lot of people to plant and breed baby corals. I want the great ocean barrier reef to come back to life.

Comments

Popular Posts